Weather, entertaining, every day usage can cause serious wear and tear on your patio furniture cushions. Having a tear in your favorite patio furniture cushions can be upsetting. Repairing the cushion as quickly as possible can save you a lot of money. The bigger the tear, the more you will pay out. If gone unrepaired, it could cause more damage and in some cases even be unsalvageable. Continue reading to learn ways to fix your cushion.
If you make the decision to fix the cushion on your own, you are saving yourself a lot of money. Using an iron-on patch can be one of the simplest ways to repair your cushion.
Here are a few steps you can follow:
- First, get an iron-on patch close to the color of your tore cushion
- Cut the patch bigger than the size of the tear
- Slide the patch through the torn material
- Bring both ripped sides together
- Then, heat your iron
- Iron the patch on the adhesive side
- Follow all instructions based on adhesive patch
- Lastly, your cushion should be good as new
Another option that you can do yourself is to sew the cushion back together. This is a great option if you need to replace the cushion padding all together.
Listed are the steps you can follow:
- Measure the cushions length and width
- If the current fabric is unusable, the go to the fabric store and find the same fabric color or a different pattern if you want to make it different
- Take the fabric and cut out the shaped of the cushion with a few inches of extra material. You should cut out two squares or whatever design you are desiring
- If the cushion padding in unusable, then make sure to get foam filling or a new cushion pad
- Sew the two fabric pieces together on three sides. Remember to sew inside out, for the newbies
- Turn the fabric inside out and then place the foam cushion inside of fabric
- Sew the final side
- Lastly, your cushion should be brand new
Finding an Upholster
The next step to take is to find an upholster if you decide to not go the do it yourself route. The price for upholstering tore cushions is not cheap. You may end up paying more than the chair or couch is worth. It may be easier to even buy a new piece of furniture. But if your patio set has sentimental value, then upholstering is the best way to go. Upholsters are known for the care and love they put in each piece. You should ask your friends and family if they can make a recommendation. Or, you can use Angie’s List online to search for an upholsterer. They will usually go down on their price if you are willing to negotiate. Make sure to tell them exactly what you are looking for in the piece. Most are excellent in providing the best care for your furniture. So go this route if you want that extra added touch.